Sausages and beans are a great combination. Let the sausages simmer in white wine until golden, add vegetables and then beans. Serve over arugula. Delicious and easy – another great combo!
- 1 ½ lbs hot Italian sausage, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- 3 cups drained cannellini beans or other white beans
- 2 bunches arugula
- Prick the sausages with a fork, add ¼ cup wine, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, raise heat and cook until brown, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and slice thinly on the diagonal.
- Pour off most of the oil leaving 2 Tbs of the drippings, adding more olive oil if needed. Add onion and red pepper and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in oregano.
- Add the beans and the remaining 1 ¼ cups of wine and bring to a boil, stirring up the flavorful browned bits.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about 5 minutes, until most of the wine is absorbed.
- Add sausages and heat through. This can be cooked ahead and reheated gently.
- To serve, spoon the sausage mixture over arugula.
Serve and enjoy!