Founded in 2018, the Piedmont Exedra is a hyperlocal, independent news site created by a group of Piedmont residents. Since November 2022, the Exedra is a fiscally sponsored project of Bay City News Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (nonprofit tax ID number 83-0654488).
Just as Piedmont’s lovely Exedra Plaza defines the center of our town, Piedmont Exedra seeks to serve as an online gathering place for citizens, where you can find news and information relevant to your lives. We have always enjoyed a great spirit of community here in Piedmont, and as traditional media sources have faded, we were compelled to respond to the chorus of voices looking for local, independent, online journalism. We hope you’ll enjoy the Exedra News, rely on it, contribute to it and share it with your families and neighbors.
The Exedra was created by a group of Piedmont residents with backgrounds in journalism, business, and civic leadership. News will be reported in accordance with high journalistic standards, and community members are invited to contribute their own announcements, photographs, opinions, and more. Startup costs for this community project have been donated by benefactors, the 30+ families and individuals who have championed this cause and given generously of time, talent and treasure. We are dedicated Piedmont volunteers, who have been active in the community over many decades. Our aim is to produce an online news source that Piedmont can be proud of. A fiscally sponsored project of local journalism nonprofit, the Bay City News Foundation, the Exedra is a Social Purpose Corporation (SPC) and dedicated to the good of the community, not profit.
We promise to offer fair, balanced and transparent reporting, and to admit and correct our mistakes. We strive to cover everyone in the community and to present diverse voices on civic issues and local news.
In addition to our own reporting, we use local freelancers to cover news around town. The Exedra also features relevant stories from around the Bay Area and California via Bay City News, CalMatters, and EdSource.
We welcome article and event submissions from current and former Piedmont residents in our Around Town section (per our submission guidelines). Piedmont Exedra will allow readers to comment on articles and blog posts.
Note: While we strive to cover everyone in the community and to present diverse voices on civic issues and local news, we reserve the right to pass on submissions (comments, op-eds, surveys, links to websites) that are anonymous or do not clearly identify their authorship.
Piedmont Exedra is a social purpose corporation dedicated to the good of the community and our readers. We launched in 2018 with the support of shareholder contributions. In November 2022, Piedmont Exedra became a fiscally sponsored project of Bay City News Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (nonprofit tax ID number 83-0654488). Additional revenues have come from ad sales, sponsored content and reader contributions.
Founders: Eric Sullivan, Holly Hanke, Mary Ireland
Piedmont Exedra SPC (Social Purpose Corporation): Chairman: Eric Sullivan; CEO: Mary Ireland; Treasurer: Nick Levinson; Secretary: Holly Hanke
Board of Directors: Michael Connors, Cathie Geddeis, Holly Hanke, Mary Ireland, Nick Levinson, Eric Sullivan, David Thigpen
- Around Town & Lifestyle Consultant: Barbara Love
- Regional Editor: Brigid Gaffikin
- Photographer: Julie Reichle
- Around Town and Lifestyle: Lou Fancher, Claire Reichle, Exedra Staff
- Reporters-at-large: Assorted freelancers
- Affiliates: TPH, Bay City News, CalMatters, Kaiser Health News, Local News Matters, EdSource, Piedmont Athletics, The Piedmont Portal, LION Publishers
- Contributors (to date): Rodney Dean Adams, Meghan Bennett (photography), Jeff Bleich, Kevin Breen, Shanti Brien, Rod Brown, Michael Connors, Kelly Corrigan, Margaret Heafey, Katie Korotzer, Nick Levinson, Joe Linhares, Pam McBain, Susan Miller-Davis, Deb Obendorf, Kathryn Pritchett, Lisa Settlemier, Brynne Staley, Rebecca Thornborrow
- Advertising/Sponsorships: Wendy Szczech
- Membership/Subscriptions: Exedra Staff
- Database Management: Exedra Staff
- Digital/Branding Consultant: Steve Humphries
- Social Media: Exedra staff
- Accounts/Billing: Lisa Peters
- Website Designer: Frank Mina
- Tech Support: Gino Bossetto (StellarIT)
Advisory Board at launch: Simon Bax (Archant, Chairman), Beth Black (PHS Journalism Faculty), Karen Ellis (civic volunteer), Julie Rubin (Associated Press, Editor), John Shrewsberry (Wells Fargo, CFO), Cameron Wolfe (civic volunteer, legal advisor)