This simple one-pot recipe is bright, fresh and green — like the spring season itself. It works as a great side dish or can be a meal itself. The feta can be replaced by parmesan — and if you prefer arugula, use that!
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 4 large scallions thinly sliced
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2 1/4 TO 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo
- zest from one lemon
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup peas (frozen or fresh) optional
- salt/pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a pot, add the shallots and cook until soft about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and 1/2 the scallions and cook another 3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and 1 tsp salt and cook down until wilted – about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 2 1/4 cups of the stock and bring to a simmer, then add the orzo, lemon zest.
- Cover and simmer on medium to low heat for about 12- 15 minutes until orzo is cooked. Check to see if orzo needs the extra 1/4 cup stock after 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and peas if using and another 1/2 tsp salt and fresh ground pepper.
- To serve, sprinkle with extra feta and the remaining scallions.