Warm spices, sweetness and beautiful colors combine to mean these aren’t your ordinary carrots! This is a great do-ahead side dish or pot luck side to accompany a Spring dinner.
- 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbls. Harissa paste (or Harissa mild red pepper sauce)
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ½ lbs small rainbow carrots scrubbed halved lengthwise, tops trimmed (Trader Joes has a great small already scrubbed small rainbow carrots )
- 2 lemons thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 3-4 mandarins or small oranges, thinly sliced seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Whisk garlic, oil, maple syrup, harissa, and cumin seeds in a small bowl and season sauce with salt and pepper
- Toss carrots and sliced citrus with the garlic mixture in a large roasting pan to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally until carrots are tender and citrus is caramelized, about 35 minutes or so.
- DO AHEAD: Carrots and citrus can be roasted 6 hours ahead. Let cool, cover and chill. Bring to room temperature or reheat slightly before serving.
- Serves 8