This French toast dish is a Christmas morning tradition in our home. If you’re looking for a break from the kitchen and a chance to enjoy the family and festivities, it couldn’t be easier: Assemble it the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning. (Merry Xmas to the head chef.)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 loaf Brioche sliced bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar 2 tsp. cinnamon
- Grease a 9 x 13 pyrex or pan. Combine melted butter and 1 cup brown sugar in a small bowl and then spread into the bottom of your prepared 9×13 pyrex or pan.
- Beat together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Mix together 2 Tbsp. brown sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon in another bowl and set aside.
- Put one layer of bread on top of butter and brown sugar mixture. Make sure the whole bottom of the pan is covered.
- Then pour half of your egg mixture on top of bread layer and sprinkle with half of the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Add another layer of bread.
- Pour the rest of the egg mixture on top and sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon and brown sugar mixture. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake covered for 30 minutes, and continue baking uncovered for 10-15 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving if desired.