August is the height of the summer tomato season. This easy dish is a great side for any dinner menu, but is also great for breakfast or brunch with scrambled eggs and sourdough toast.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 Tbs olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 4 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 4 Tbs chopped fresh oregano
- 4 Tbs chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbs grated lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice off the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds and most of the flesh. Drizzle the insides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill each tomato with goat cheese.
- In a bowl combine the bread crumbs, 4 Tbs of olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic, fresh herbs and lemon zest.
- Sprinkle the tops of tomatoes with bread crumb mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 425 for about 10 – 15 minute or until the tops are golden brown. Serve warm.