As we start barbecue season and get ready for Memorial Day weekend, I want to share my grandmother’s recipe for three bean salad. Unlike the traditional variations, which tend to be sweeter, this relies on Dijon mustard and lemon juice for its dressing. A handy SIP recipe, with pantry-friendly ingredients, you can substitute any kind of canned beans you might have on hand. Likewise, the sweet pepper is interchangeable depending on what’s available to you.
Plus, substituting fresh green beans in place of the canned works too. NOTE: If you are using fresh, you will need to blanch them and put in ice cold water before mixing in.
This salad continues to marinate for days afterwards so a great recipe to make ahead or to act as leftovers. Enjoy!
- 2 cans of green beans, drained
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained
- 2 2 oz jar of diced pimentos, drained
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 orange or red pepper, chopped
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup of white wine or red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional chopped parsley as garnish
- Whisk up the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and mustard in a bowl.
- Add beans, pimentos, onions, peppers, mushrooms, onions to the bowl.
- Let marinate for 1-3 hours before serving.