This dip should be a staple of any Valentine’s Day appetizer menu. The original recipe came from an early 1980s San Francisco Junior League cookbook, A La Carte. I’ve tweaked it a bit after making it for so long. You can make part of it ahead of time and just serve it with a great potato chip. Serving caviar always makes your guests feel special. Happy Valentine’s Day!
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, mashed
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs minced parsley
- 1 jar of black caviar (I use a medium-priced jar $25-$35)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbs minced chives
- Mix the mashed eggs, mayonnaise, and parsley. Spread and cover the bottom of a pie or tart dish. (Use your nicest ceramic tart pan, since this is the dish you serve it in.) Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Mix caviar and shallots and lemon juice and spread on top of the egg mixture.
- Spread sour cream on top of the caviar layer and then sprinkle chives on top. Serve with your favorite potato chips.
- Note: If you aren’t serving immediately, make the first two layers and then cover and refrigerate. Add the sour cream and chives right before you plan to serve.