This is one of my sister’s very popular recipes. A perfect light dinner for this cold rainy week following a week of holiday indulging.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 pack of shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium bok choy, sliced and separated stems/greens
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp store-bought minced ginger
- 1 T minced lemongrass (also can be store-bought)
- 1 tsp Thai red chili paste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 quart of miso ginger broth from Trader Joes (or another quart of regular chicken broth)
- 2 lbs of chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 8 oz can of coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thai fresno chili
- toasted coconut
Sauté onions until soft in a large saucepan.
Add shiitakes and bok choy stems. Sauté for another 4 minutes.
Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass and chili paste. Sauté for one minute.
Add the broths and chicken and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
Remove chicken, shred, and return back to the pot.
Add the coconut milk and bok choy greens.
Stir and cook 5 minutes longer. Add salt and pepper to your taste.