This is my great grandfather’s stuffing recipe that has become a Thanksgiving staple in our home. Make sure you double or triple it so you have leftovers. It is very simple recipe and will not disappoint!
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cut in small pieces
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 7 1/2 ounce packages of stuffing mix
- 2 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cube of butter, melted
- 1 heaping tsp of dried sage
- 1 heaping tsp of poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Cook bacon slowly for a few minutes and then add onions and cook until slightly brown.
- In a large bowl place stuffing cubes and add water to moisten the bread.
- Add bacon and onion mixture to bread then add the milk and eggs which have blended together.
- Add the melted butter and the seasonings.
This should be enough to stuff an 18 lb. bird. You can double or triple the recipe and bake the rest of the stuffing in a pan covered with foil at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.