This family favorite makes a nice lunch or dinner during warm weather.
This recipe is best served over salad greens or a piece of Bibb lettuce. For even less fuss, use a fully cooked supermarket rotisserie chicken. NOTE: Make sure not to dress the chicken when it’s warm — it will absorb too much of the dressing. Serves 6
- 3 – 3 1/2 pound whole chicken
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 10 ounces jarred roasted red peppers , drained and diced medium (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 ribs celery, sliced very thin (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/2 cup toasted and sliced almonds
- Salad greens or 6 pieces of Bibb lettuce
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Roast in a 375-degree oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 165 to 170 degrees, about 1 hour, 10 minutes. When cool, pull the meat off the bones in 2-inch shreds, discarding fat and sinew.
Reserve 5 cups of meat for this recipe; set the rest aside for another use. (The chicken can be roasted, shredded, and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.)
Puree oil, vinegar, 2/3 cup roasted red peppers, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in blender until smooth. Transfer to bowl.
Add shallot, parsley, celery, olives, and remaining 2/3 cup red peppers to vinaigrette; stir to combine.
Add chicken (should be fully cooled) and toss gently to combine; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and sprinkle with almonds over a mound of salad greens or piece of Bibb lettuce. Serve immediately.