This classic holiday flavor pairing of cranberry and orange makes this quick bread a seasonal favorite. In the summer, I substitute blueberries and lemon for the cranberries and orange. This bread can be served as a breakfast bread or a dessert on a cookie platter.
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter softened
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c cranberries
- 1 c butter milk
- 2 large eggs room temperate
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbs. fresh grated orange zest
- 1/2 c unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 4 tsp. orange juice; more as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a bread pan, tapping out excess flour.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in cranberries.
- In a medium bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and orange zest. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add melted butter and gently fold together until blended. Do not use a mixer or over mix it will make the bread dry.
- Put the batter in the prepared loaf pan spread evenly. Bake rotating half way through until top is golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; 50-55 minutes.
- Let bread cool in the pan on a rack for 30 minutes and then remove turning bread right side up and let cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth, adding juice a tsp. at a time. Drizzle the bread with the glaze and let it set for 30 minutes.