From a City of Piedmont press release on Nov. 17
Piedmont Police Chief Jeremy Bowers will present the police department’s quarterly report at the Monday, Nov. 20 City Council meeting.
The presentation will cover crime statistics through Sept. 30, 2023 and provide an implementation update on the police department’s eight-point “crime response plan,” which Chief Bowers shared at the Sept. 18 City Council. Key elements are to:
• Enhance critical dispatch function through staffing increase and facility upgrade
• Further integrate modern equipment into operations via Public Safety Camera Program
• Restructure non-sworn roles to support full-time Community Service Officer staffing, freeing up sworn Oofficers to focus on criminal matters
• Deploy crime suppression cars with uniformed officers during known peak periods
• Examine and evaluate staffing model to best configure future police services
Several of these measures have advanced significantly since the September report. The city completed installation of new public safety cameras in October, and is currently finalizing networking and configuration. The new cameras are expected to be fully operational by December.
Work to enhance the department’s dispatch function continues to move forward, with construction of an upgraded facility expected to begin in February and the hiring of an additional dispatcher underway. These investments in dispatch provide critical support for Piedmont Police by allowing the department to maximize benefits of technology investments, including public safety cameras and automated license plate readers (ALPRs).
Watch and comment in person or online via Zoom
Community members can watch and provide comment at the meeting in-person or via Zoom:
Monday, Nov. 20, 2023, 6 p.m.
Piedmont City Hall, 120 Vista Avenue
Each participant will have the opportunity to speak once on the quarterly report after the Chief’s presentation and before the Council discussion. The City Council will set a time limit for individual comments based on the number of participants.