With Halloween on the horizon, here’s a way to make candy indulgence feel special. The trick lies in the plant-based ingredients and the treat is the end result — guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 can (320g/11oz) sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Mochiko sweet rice flour
- ½ tablespoon + ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 18 almonds
- 1 1/4 cups dairy-free dark chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life
- Wooden skewers for dipping
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a heavy-duty small or medium pot, combine desiccated coconut, condensed coconut milk, rice flour, and coconut oil over low heat. Stir constantly until well blended, then refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Beat the slightly cooled mixture by hand with a fork or firm whisk until well combined.
- Shape into 18 rounded logs. Pressed an almond into the center of each log and squeeze the sides gently to restore the smooth oval shape. Set on the paper-covered baking sheet in the freezer for an hour.
- Melt the chocolate chips with 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl.
- Remove coconut logs from refrigerator a few at a time and coat each one with melted chocolate:
- From the side, pierce each log partway through with the wooden skewer.
- Roll the log through the melted chocolate, use a spoon to drape any exposed areas with more chocolate, and shake off the excess.
- Set the log on the paper-covered tray and while using a second skewer as resistance, gently pull out the dipping skewer. Cover any gaps with melted chocolate.
- Once finished, put logs in the freezer for about 15 minutes to allow chocolate to set.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.