This easy appetizer is just right for the season and makes for an impressive addition to any holiday gathering. Enjoy with a glass of champagne!
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons honey, warmed so it is easy to drizzle (microwaving works)
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 18 pieces thinly sliced gruyere cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat over to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Set in sections: Drizzle small amount of honey onto the parchment lined backing sheet, creating nine separate honey drizzles. Cut the thawed puff pastry into nine equal rectangles.
- Assemble the tarts:
- Sprinkle fresh thyme leaves, salt, and pepper over the honey drizzle.
- Press a slice of onion on top of each honey drizzle, followed by a 1-2” thin slice of gruyere cheese.
- Place a puff pastry rectangle on top of each onion and cheese stack.
- Brush and bake: Brush the top of each puff pastry tart with beaten egg wash. Transfer the baking sheet to the preheated oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the tarts are nicely browned and puffed up.
- Finish and serve: Once baked, remove the tarts from the oven carefully flip each on over using a spatula. Drizzle additional warm honey over each tart and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves. Allow the tarts to cool slightly before serving. They are best enjoyed warm.