Moraga Canyon Specific Plan Community Survey, from a Sept. 28, 2023 press release:
Help shape the future of Moraga Canyon
The City of Piedmont invites community members to help shape the future of Moraga Canyon by completing a short online survey.
This survey marks the first of several opportunities over the next year for community members to inform the City’s Moraga Canyon Specific Plan, an initiative that will study all City-owned land in the Moraga Canyon area, with the goal of creating a detailed plan for how to:
- Incorporate 132 units of new housing, 60 of which would be reserved for households earning lower incomes
- Maintain and improve existing City facilities, open space, and recreational amenities in the area
- Improve traffic and wildfire safety
Responses will help the project team better understand the community’s preferences and priorities for the future of Moraga Canyon. This information will be used to develop a series of potential development concepts which will be shared at a community workshop scheduled for November 30th.
Survey gathers information about current uses, architectural design, and improvement priorities
This survey invites community members to share:
- How you use Moraga Canyon today and what you value most about the area
- How well you feel different architectural styles might fit in Moraga Canyon
- What type of improvements you consider most important for future development in Moraga Canyon
Respondents will also have an open-ended opportunity to share their concerns about plans for future development and ideas about other things that should be considered as part of the Specific Plan process.
The survey is available at piedmont.ca.gov/MoragaCanyonSurvey and will remain open through October 20th. Participants can enter a drawing to win a $100 gift certificate to Mulberry’s Market.
Specific Plan part of Housing Element implementation
The Moraga Canyon Specific Plan is a cornerstone of Piedmont’s 6th Cycle Housing Element – an ambitious plan for how the City can accommodate 587 new homes by 2031. The City began work on the Moraga Canyon Specific Plan in summer 2023. This entire process will take a little over two years, with the final Specific Plan expected to be complete by the end of 2025.
In the coming months, Planning staff will bring forward several other Housing Element implementation measures, including:
- General Plan Amendments: Staff are preparing draft amendments to the Land Use Element and other elements (or chapters) of the General Plan to make the elements consistent with the Housing Element.
- Zoning Code Revisions: The Housing Element calls for the City to study changes to the Zoning Ordinance, part of the Piedmont City Code, in order to increase the development potential of land in Piedmont.
- Housing Element EIR: The City’s team of staff and consultants is preparing an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) to analyze and disclose the potential environmental impacts of development facilitated by implementation of programs in the Housing Element and related General Plan amendments.
Learn more about Piedmont’s Housing Element and the Moraga Canyon Specific Plan at PiedmontIsHome.org. Sign up for the Moraga Canyon project email list to stay informed about future engagement opportunities. With questions, email PiedmontIsHome@piedmont.ca.gov.
Your feedback matters! Help shape the future of Moraga Canyon by sharing preferences and priorities for future development.
UPCOMING ENGAGEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Take our community survey and give input on the Moraga Canyon Specific Plan, which is part of Piedmont’s Housing Element.
Take the Community Survey
Open HERE or click or scan the QR code above.
Attend the Community Workshop
November 30 | 6:30 PM
Piedmont Veterans’ Memorial Building 401 Highland Ave.