Easy and delish, my mother used to pull together this treat when we were young. Swapping an 8″ cast iron skillet for a pie dish (both work), I also added nuts and espresso powder to the original recipe. The espresso powder will intensify the chocolate flavor. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream while the pie is still warm.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3-4 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds (optional)
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8-inch pie dish or oven-proof skillet.
- Mix together the eggs, butter, flour, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, and espresso powder, if using. Beat well for four minutes, scraping down sides of bowl. Stir in the nuts, if using, and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Pie will settle while cooling. Serve warm, cutting like a pie, with whipped cream or ice cream.