Recently Toronto’s popular Tampered Press bakery closed down, but to the delight of their otherwise disappointed fans, they shared the recipe for their cult cookie favorite. (It turns out it matched a recipe that I make from the cookbook “Best Recipe.”)
The secret here is not to overbake. So if you are debating leaving them in a little longer — don’t!
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp unbleached or regular all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 12 tbsp (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (portion depends on your chocolate addiction)
- Flaky sea salt, optional
- Put two baking racks at top third and bottom third of the oven. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking soda and salt together. In separate bowl, mix together white and brown sugar. Add melted butter to sugar mix and beat in. Beat egg, egg yolk and vanilla together, then add to sugar/butter mixture and beat together.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and mix together. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop cookies – it should make about 18. Do not roll into tight balls – keep them loose and rough looking.
- Bake approximately 14-15 minutes, switching baking sheets forward to back and swap places on racks. Cookies should appear underbaked, a bit wet in the middle and only slightly browned.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets and peel off of the paper. You can sprinkle a few flakes of sea salt on each cookie while warm, if desired.