Piedmont High School has officially canceled two more football games and will likely not play another game this year, according to coach Jordan Seiden.
Seiden confirmed on Oct. 18 that the Oct. 21 game against St. Patrick-St. Vincent-Vallejo would not be played. Neither will the Oct. 28 game scheduled against St. Mary’s-Albany. There had been some hope that a game scheduled for Nov. 4 at Kennedy-Richmond might be played, but Seiden indicated it wouldn’t be.
“Varsity season is pretty much canceled,” Seiden said. “We don’t have the bodies for it.”
The season was shut down after a 49-15 loss at home to St. Mary’s on Sept. 23. That dropped the Highlanders’ record to 0-4. Injuries and a thin roster left Piedmont with just 13 varsity players at practice the following Monday. On Sept. 27, the decision was made to suspend the season.
Games against De Anza and Eureka were forfeited at the time.
“Its bittersweet,” Seiden said. “It’s incredibly disappointing for the seniors. I couldn’t imaging going through that in high school. That would be devastating for me. I feel horrible about the situation. Unfortunately we have to act in the best interest of the kids who are still in the program.”
Seiden said most of the seniors continued to work out after the season was suspended. Underclassmen were able to drop down to the junior varsity team, which continued its season.
Seiden remains optimistic that a full varsity team will be able to play next season.
“It’s a true definition of a rebuilding year,” he said. “The kids are positive. Everybody is feeling as good as can be expected. It gives us a chance to strengthen our JV program a little bit. Build toward next year and get ready for the offseason.”
Seiden is in his first year as varsity coach.