This recipe complements the tender-crisp snap peas out in the markets this month with layers of sesame seasonings: toasted sesame oil for depth, gomasio (a blend of sesame seeds, seaweed, and salt, which can be found in gourmet grocery stores or Asian specialty markets) for salt and crunch, and black sesame seeds for visual drama against the bright green pods.
- 1 ½ lb snap peas, strings removed
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil (or other mild vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (or more to taste)
- 1 ½ tablespoons gomasio
- 1 teaspoon toasted black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Toss the snap peas with the oil on a large baking sheet, using just enough oil to barely coat the peas.
- Roast the snap peas, shaking the pan every few minutes to cook them evenly, until tender-crisp and browned in spots, about 15 minutes.
- Toss the warm snap peas in a large bowl with the toasted sesame oil, gomasio seasoning and black sesame seeds. Taste and season with more of any of the seasonings.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.