This is a refreshing and simple salad for spring dinners — or Easter brunch. You can add protein for a light meal or serve with an entree. Enjoy!
For more salad inspiration, follow @SaladsAreSuperAwesome on Instagram.
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 blood oranges, sliced and segmented
- ¼ cup candied pecans (see recipe below)
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¼ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp water
- 2 pinches of kosher salt
- ¼ cup pecan halves
Balsamic vinaigrette dressing:
- ¼ tsp of kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dash pepper
- Small shallot, diced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- In a small bowl, stir brown sugar, water, and kosher salt to combine (don’t worry that the sugar and salt won’t all be dissolved). Set this at-the-ready, next to your stove, as this recipe goes really quickly.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, toast pecans for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally and then drizzle the sugar mixture into the pan, on top of the pecans, stirring the nuts as you drizzle. Stir constantly for about 15 seconds, until the pecans are thoroughly coated in the sugar mixture.
- Spread the pecans on a piece of parchment to cool. Once cooled, you can break the nuts apart, if needed.
- Toss red leaf lettuce with blood oranges, avocados, feta cheese and candied pecans.
- For the dressing, mix all ingredients and shake or stir well.
- Add dressing to salad to taste and toss. Serve immediately.