Having just returned Tecate, Mexico this past week, where I was cooking for the student and parent leader builders, I would like to share a salad we came up with that was a crowd pleaser. Both teens and adults were loading up on it. You can make this an entrée salad by adding grilled chicken or steak or garbanzo beans. Be sure to drain the flavorful oils from the sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes. You can find the crispy onions in the produce section.
- 8 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced and quartered artichoke hearts
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds or toasted pine nuts
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup crispy onions
- Optional: diced avocado, garbanzo beans
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Add greens to large bowl. Throw in olives, tomatoes, artichokes, onions and sunflower seeds. Toss gently.
- To make dressing toss all ingredients in a glass jar and shake until emulsified. Just before serving, drizzle over salad and gently toss one more time.