On Thursday, March 24th, at 5:30 p.m., the City of Piedmont will host a virtual Community Workshop, focusing on Housing Element sites. This will be the second public workshop about the 2023-2031 Housing Element update. Mayor Teddy Gray King will give opening remarks.
The Community Workshop on March 24th will feature an introduction to the draft 2023-2031 Housing Element and a demonstration of a new, interactive community planning tool, called The Piedmont Puzzle, hosted on Balancing Act software. During the Community Workshop, Chris Adams, president and co-founder of Balancing Act, which is a Denver-based company that offers budget engagement and financial transparency tools, will lead a demonstration of the new software app.
“Piedmont’s housing plan and its implementation will effect changes in our community for years to come,” said Mayor Teddy Gray King. “We look forward to shaping our city’s future by increasing the availability of housing opportunities for everyone, while enhancing our quality of life. I invite all Piedmonters to participate in this important conversation.”
The 2023-2031 Housing Element, which is a chapter of the General Plan, considers all types of land uses, housing types, building types and heights, residential densities, code changes, and housing programs, such as subsidies and incentives, in order to meet the state-mandated goal of accommodating 587 new housing units by 2031 and to affirmatively further fair housing in Piedmont.
Community members can access the workshop in the following ways:
- Join the Zoom meeting (computer or smart phone): Click https://piedmont-ca-gov.zoom.us/j/87034575751
- Dial (669) 900-9128 and enter webinar meeting number 870-3457-5751
- Watch on KCOM: https://www.piedmont.ca.gov/government/meeting_videos
Housing Element Update Timeline
- March 24, 2022: Virtual Housing Element Community Workshop #2 at 5:30 p.m.
- April 2022: Publication of the draft Housing Element, including a new sites inventory that lists all of the properties to be considered for new housing development.
- Summer 2022: Public hearings begin on the draft Housing Element.
- May 2023: Deadline for adoption of the final draft of the updated Housing Element, date amended due to recent state law requiring additional review and longer comment periods.
Four informational videos about the 2023-2031 Housing Element have been produced by City staff. Please visit Piedmont’s Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX3RUnN7wcyGgnnjmYmFnXQ or watch these videos on the homepage of https://piedmontishome.org.
The City has created a web site, https://piedmontishome.org, which is a one-stop shop for information on the City’s housing efforts. This site contains information about the 2023-2031 Housing Element process, as well as other fair housing programs.
Community members are encouraged to review the materials on the site and submit comments, questions, ideas, and concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org. This email address will capture official public correspondence about City of Piedmont housing policy work, including the 2023-2031 Housing Element Update. The City greatly appreciates the hundreds of Piedmonters who have already shared comments, questions, and concerns about the City’s fair housing work.