The Piedmont Baseball-Softball Foundation Umpire Program annually trains and hires Piedmont students to umpire Pinto and Mustang games. All prospective umpires must attend two training sessions taught by professional umpires before they will be allowed to work for the league. The training sessions lead to a thorough knowledge of the rules of the game, and an understanding of correct field positioning for all game situations, proper dress, pre-game conferences, and the importance of being prompt and prepared.
To be eligible to be a youth umpire you must be in 7th grade or higher and have the time available on weekends to work baseball games. Baseball experience is preferred, but not required. Sign up HERE.
PBSF will follow up with training info and an online game schedule where kids can sign up for umpire duties after they have completed the training. Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Classroom Rules Training
Review of Rules for Piedmont Baseball
1) Thursday, Feb. 10: 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
2) Thursday, March 3: 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Positioning and how to call a game
Hampton or Coaches Field (to be confirmed)
1) Either Saturday or Sunday, Feb. 12 or 13: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
2) Either Saturday or Sunday, March 5 or 6: 9 a.m. -1 p.m.
It is the Foundation’s goal to provide umpire training that will give students the opportunity to:
- Learn and improve key umpiring skills
- Develop the confidence necessary to apply the rules of baseball in game situations
- Play an important (and fun) role in supporting youth baseball in Piedmont.