The Piedmont Planning Commission conducts an annual Design Award Program to recognize Piedmont property owners who have done an extraordinary job of planning and designing their construction and landscaping projects. From a list of projects that completed construction the previous calendar year, the Commission chooses a select number of superior designs that meet the City’s design and planning guidelines and exemplify the highest level of design excellence in the community.
The recipients of the 2021 Piedmont Design Awards are as follows:
Excellence in Accessory Dwelling Unit Design
- Property owners David and Stacy Karol of 778 Kingston Avenue
- Their architect, Studio G+S Architects
- Their contractor, Shahzhad Arani or Arani Construction
Excellence in Historic Restoration
- Property owners John and Rebecca Heywood of 55 Craig Avenue
- Their architect, KHAOS Design
- Their contractors: Buestad Construction, Lowpensky Moulding, JA Painters, Lynne Rutter Studio, Julie A. Stonehouse, Banton Scaffold, Inc., Mad River Woodworks, WestCo Roofing Co., and Misano Cabinets and Woodworking
Excellence in a Seamless Addition
- Property owners the Droessler Family of 457 Mountain Avenue
- Their architect, Lisa Trujillo of Jarvis Architects Inc.
- Their contractor, Frank Silver of FMS Projects, Inc.
Excellence in Outdoor Living Design and Landscaping
- Property owners Nina and Dan Fendel of 20 Greenbank Avenue
- Their designer Judy Val Gelb of Sprig Landscape Design Studio
- Their contractor, Andy Packer of Acorn Landscaping Inc.
Excellence in Architecturally Consistent Design
- Property owners and designer David and Kathy Yam of 46 Nace Avenue
Excellence in Integrated Indoor/Outdoor Design
- Property owner the Long Family of 135 Requa Road
- Their architect Studio Bergtraun AIA Architects
- Their contractor, John Meltzer of 20/20 Builders
The City of Piedmont will host a virtual Design Awards Ceremony on Monday, March 8, 2021 starting at 5:30 p.m. at the Planning Commission meeting. The virtual Planning Commission meeting will be held on Zoom. Anyone interested in celebrating excellence in architectural design is welcome to attend.
For more information about the Design Awards, please contact Assistant Planner Steven Lizzarago at 510-420-3094 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To attend the virtual ceremony, please use one of the following methods:
- Computer or smart phone: Click on https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88479798987
- Computer or smart phone: Click on https://piedmont.ca.gov/government/meeting_videos and select the Planning Commission meeting
- Telephone: Dial (669) 900-9128 and enter webinar/meeting number 884-7979-8987
- Television: Watch on KCOM, Comcast Channel 27 or AT&T UVerse Channel 99