The cold weather of January is here and holiday feasting is done. Time for healthy, flavorful, and hearty winter soup. My hamburger soup is a quick go-to dinner of sweet potatoes, veggies, and hamburger simmered in a savory tomato broth. It’s kid-, Keto- and Paleo-friendly!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Lbs sweet potato, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 5 cups cubed)
- 4 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 5 1/2 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 2 14.5-ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes.
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2-1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Lb lean ground beef (or substitute with ground turkey)
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp tapioca starch (can be found at any grocery store). I add this to make a thicker soup.
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced for garnish.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the tablespoon olive oil and the ground beef along with the vegetables. Cook until the meat is browned and veggies translucent. 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add the broth, tomatoes (with liquid), tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
Stove Top Instructions
- Heat the olive oil in a 5- or 6-quart Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high. Add the veggies and cook until translucent, 2 minutes. Add the beef and cook until brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tapioca starch after this if you want a thicker soup.
- Add the broth, canned tomatoes (with liquid), tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour. The longer you cook the more intensity the soup will have.