This year our holidays will probably be smaller in number and tailored to recommended precautions. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be festive and celebrate! Even a modest gathering deserves a celebratory libation, and this Thyme-Apple Cider Spritz captures fall flavors while savory Autumn Snack Mix makes a terrific accompaniment. Compulsively snack-able, the mix is easy to make ahead — and ideal to serve to a small, socially-distanced group as everyone gets their own dish.
INGREDIENTS | Cider Spritz
Makes 4 cocktails (can also be made as a mocktail)
For the Thyme Syrup:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 sprigs of thyme
For the Thyme Apple Cider Spritz:
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 ½ cups dark rum (remove if making a mocktail)
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp Angostura bitters
- Club Soda
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 8 lime slices
DIRECTIONS | Cider Spritz
- Bring the equal amounts of sugar and water to boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat, add thyme sprigs, and cover. Let stand 10 minutes. The strain into a small jar and cool completely.
- Mix thyme syrup, apple cider, rum (if using), lime juice and bitters in a large pitcher. Divide among glasses filled with ice and top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with thyme sprigs and lime slices. Cheers!!!!
Courtesy of Gaby Dalkin
INGREDIENTS | Snack Mix
- 2 tsp chives, dried
- 1 tsp dill, dried
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp parsley dried
- 3 cups Cheez-its and gold fish mixed
- 3 cups pretzels salted mini-twists
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- Feel free to add any nuts if you would like
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 6 Tbsp butter salted, and melted
DIRECTIONS | Snack Mix
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, Worcestershire, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, parsley, chives, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Add the pretzels, cheese crackers, and Chex, tossing well for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture is evenly coated. Spread the mix evenly over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Transfer to the oven and bake 30-35 minutes. Toss 1-2 times throughout cooking.
Serve or store in an airtight container for 1 week.