Don’t know what to do with your leftover turkey? This soup is a great way to use it up! A great winter night meal with a big green salad. You can do it ahead of time and just bake the bread and cheese on top right before you are going to serve.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 5 pounds sliced yellow onions (about 14 cups)
- 3 Tbsps. minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- Turkey meat from the carcass no skin – shredded
- 7-8 cups chicken stock
- salt/pepper to taste
- Sourdough bread slices
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Heat oil and butter in a large pot or dutch oven. Add onions and saute 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, wine, sherry and flour, salt and pepper and cook another 10 minutes until onions are browned.
- Add the turkey meat, the chicken stock, and more salt and pepper and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375. Put soup in oven safe bowls, place the sliced sourdough on soup and top with cheese. Bake on cookie sheet for about 10-12 minutes or until cheese has melted and is bubbling.