Before I head back to college, I was thinking of easy recipes that are high in protein and easy on the wallet. This dish has always been a favorite and takes minutes to assemble and cook — easy for the college student on the run.
- 1 package (16oz) firm/extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 Tbsp ‘Everything but the Bagel’ seasoning (available at Trader Joe’s and most supermarkets).
- Dry tofu by wrapping it in a kitchen towel and placing a heavy pan or book on top. Let sit for at least 15 minutes. Once tofu is dry, cut it up into one inch cubes.
- In a bowl, mix corn starch, salt, pepper, ‘everything but the bagel,’ and any other desired seasonings.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan. Dip the tofu in the cornstarch mix so it is coated in a thin layer. Place the tofu in the pan and cook until golden brown.
- Serve with rice or throw on top of a salad.