Bay Area coronavirus updates | Fri., Sept. 11

The latest developments around the region related to the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, as of Friday afternoon include:

  • State public health officials reminded residents across the state to avoid gathering indoors with others as much as possible despite the wildfires burning along the West Coast and the resulting poor air quality. More than 5,300 people across the state are currently being sheltered in places like empty hotel rooms due to fire-related evacuations, according to Dr. Erica Pan, the state’s acting public health officer. Of those, only 81 are in congregate shelters and 5,231 are in lower-risk non-congregate shelters. However, sheltered residents usually make up only around 5 percent of evacuees, with the other 95 percent seeking refuge with friends and family members. Pan said that despite the converging crises, residents should not let their guard down about the danger of spreading the novel coronavirus.
  • As of Friday, at 3:30 p.m., officials have confirmed the following number of cases around the greater Bay Area region (“+” number indicates new cases/deaths since last check on Thurs.):
    • Alameda County: 19,819 cases (+109), 320 deaths (+17) (Totals include Berkeley Health Department data)
    • Contra Costa County: 15,058 cases (+92), 189 deaths (+1)
    • Marin County: 6,407 cases (+29), 99 deaths (Totals include San Quentin State Prison)
    • Monterey County: 8,761 cases (+23), 64 deaths (+2)
    • Napa County: 1,540 cases (+8), 13 deaths
    • San Francisco County: 10,188 cases (+68), 89 deaths (+1)
    • San Mateo County: 8,966 cases (+71), 139 deaths (+3)
    • Santa Clara County: 19,143 cases (+289), 276 deaths (+13)
    • Santa Cruz County: 2,021 cases (+8), 7 deaths
    • Solano County: 5,820 cases (+15), 48 deaths
    • Sonoma County: 6,561 cases (+45), 105 deaths (+7)
    • Statewide: 746,191 cases (+3,326), 14,089 deaths (+111)

Leave a Reply

The Exedra comments section is an essential part of the site. The goal of our comments policy is to help ensure it is a vibrant yet civil space. To participate, we ask that Exedra commenters please provide a first and last name. Please note that comments expressing congratulations or condolences may be published without full names. (View our full Comments Policy.)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *