Want a tropical cocktail to make you feel like you have escaped to the islands? This updated version of the pina colada says ‘aloha’ in a glass. Serves 4.
- ¾ cup basil or mint, fresh leaves
- 1 lime, plus zest of 4 limes
- 1 ½ cups pineapple chunks, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup coconut cream, canned
- 2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt, flaky
- 8 oz rum, white
- 2 oz rum, dark
- Combine the lime zest, sugar, and pinch of salt on a shallow plate. Rim your glasses in this sugar.
- In a cocktail shaker or glass gar, muddle the lime juice, basil or mint, and 1-2 Tbs lime sugar together, squashing everything to release the juices.
- Add the white rum and dark rum. Fill with ice and shake until combined. Strain into a blender.
- To the blender, add the pineapple chunks and coconut cream, blend until smooth. Add 3 cups ice and blend until “frozen”. Pour in your prepared glasses. Finish with a sprinkle of lime sugar and fresh basil.
- If you have a paper drink umbrella, add that too! Enjoy!
Great accompaniment to Poke Bowl, below. Courtesy of Half Baked Harvest