This recipe is a staple in the Heafey house. As summer approaches, and the tomatoes are at their best, I probably I make this once a week. My boys call it Italian salsa because although its a pasta sauce, we love it on grilled chicken, sauteed shrimp, as a bruschetta topping — and of course on scrambled eggs. This will keep in the refrigerator for about 5 days before the basil starts to turn – but it never lasts that long here.
- 2 baskets cherry tomatoes (any type) washed and cut in half
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 12-14 basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 8 oz container of small balls of mozzarella cheese (optional, best if making pasta)
- Mix all ingredients in glass bowl and make sure you really salt and pepper generously.
- Let sit a few hours before serving so all the tomatoes natural juices begin to make the sauce.
- If making pasta its best on a thin pasta noodle.