While grocery stores experienced unprecedented levels of purchasing over the last week, local restaurants and coffee shops have unfortunately had the opposite experience.
Since the county-wide order to shelter in place, all restaurants have closed their dining rooms and seating areas, but many have continued to offer take-out services. Yes, customers are wary and traffic has been extremely slow for most. And some, like Homestead and Blue Bottle Coffee, have decided to close until April 7th or further notice.
But many restaurants near Piedmont hope to keep their doors open and their staff employed. Among many Oakland restaurants offering to-go food are:
- Bar Cesar, Cato’s Pub, Fenton’s, Lanesplitter’s, Wolf, and Zachary’s Pizza.
- Several even offer curb-side delivery, including LoCoco’s, Dona, Oliveto (next week), and Wood Tavern.
- Peet’s remains one of the few coffee shops open on Piedmont Ave, offering to-go services only.
- In order to minimize points of contact, Peet’s recommends that customers place orders through their app and pick up at the specified pre-order counter.
- Implementing impressive new safety measures, Peet’s employees now wear gloves, all milk and sugar is kept behind the counter, baristas wash hands between making each drink order, and all points of contact such as doors and counters are immediately wiped.
For a detailed list of restaurant services in the East Bay area, check out these following posts:
- Oakland Chamber of Commerce COVID-19 restaurant list HERE
- Berkeleyside Nosh lists restaurants in Berkeley, Oakland and beyond HERE
- More restaurants listed HERE.