Need a recipe for Thanksgiving stuffing that’s easy to make and as tasty as a Marshall Petty touchdown pass? Try your hand at “Highlander Stuffing” which can be cooked in a baking pan or stuffed in the bird.
- 1 Loaf walnut bread
- 1 Loaf rosemary ciabatta bread
- 16 oz Mild or spicy sausage
- 16 oz Crimini mushrooms chopped
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 jar apple sauce (24 or 36 oz depending on amount of bread)
- 1 cup raisins (or more if you like!)
- Start by cubing some hearty bread in 1 inch pieces and put in a large mixing bowl
- Saute and drain mild or spicy sausage and put aside in a bowl with paper towel at the bottom. Wipe out the pan and start the second batch of vegetable mixture. Add a touch of olive oil and saute celery, diced yellow onion and mushrooms, drain liquid that releases, then add sausage back into the pan and cook until caramelized. Add to bread when cooked.
- Add raisins and jar of apple sauce to stuffing mixture bread and blend by hand. If you choose to stuff a turkey or turducken, the apple sauce will steam and help make the turkey meat moist. The stuffing also cooks great in a baking dish at 350 for 45 mins to an hour, until brown.
Eat heartily and enjoy the holiday!
This recipe was first posted on November 21, 2018.