This is our family’s favorite — no cooking needed! — dessert for Thanksgiving. NOTE: I tweak it into another iteration for Christmas – chocolate wafer cookies, peppermint ice cream, chocolate sauce and creme de menthe in the whipping cream! Yum.
- 1 1/2 cups Ginger Snap cookie crumbs
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter (5 Tbs solid)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 quart Pumpkin (not with marshmallows) ice cream
- Your favorite thick caramel sauce in a jar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Optional: 1 oz.+ Brandy (for whipping cream)
- Combine Ginger Snap cookie crumbs (finely ground in a Cuisinart) with sugar and melted butter
- Press mixture into 9” pie pan that has been sprayed with a non-stick oil; and freeze.
- Soften 1 quart Pumpkin ice cream and spread into crumb crust; and freeze.
- Caramel sauce in a jar (I use Fran’s) and warm slightly and spread on top of the ice cream; and freeze.
- Whip 1 cup whipping cream. Optional: Fold 1 oz. + Brandy into whipping cream.
- Freeze for 3 – 4 hours before serving.
- Take from freezer 10 – 15 minutes before serving in order to cut more easily. May be made several days in advance.