This is a great summer recipe for big groups that you can make ahead of time. Leftover meat also freezes well. Serve with sweet potato fries or tater tots and a green salad. Need an appetizer? Use slider buns for smaller portions.
- 6 lbs of boneless pork shoulder
- 1 onion (peeled and quartered)
- 1 T Paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp of dried mustard
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup of ginger ale
- 1 bottle of BBQ sauce of your choice
- Hamburger or slider buns
- Coleslaw (see recipe below)
Peel and quarter the onion, then nestle it in with the pork in a Crock-Pot or slow cooker. Sprinkle paprika, salt, red pepper flakes, mustard, pepper onto the pork. Add Worcestershire, vinegar and ginger ale. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours depending on your slow cooker.
Remove pork and onions from liquid. Shred the pork with two forks and dice the cooked onions. Pour out the liquid and put pork and onions back in the pot.
If you like saucy pulled pork, add the bbq sauce and mix thoroughly. You can also keep it plain, just check seasoning to see if more salt is needed and then add the sauce onto each sandwich. Put out pickles, coleslaw and more bbq sauce with the buns for assembly.
- ½ cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups of thinly sliced green cabbage. (Pre-shredded from grocery store works great.)
Mix vinegar and mustard together first and then add olive oil to emulsify. Add onion and jalapeno and let sit for an hour or two. Add the cabbage right before you serve so it stays relatively crunchy.