In 1999, our family was swept away to a new life in Singapore. Weekends consisted of shopping in Thailand, island getaways in Indonesia and swim meets in Hong Kong. Longer family trips included educational trips to China and India, historical tours in Burma and Cambodia, scuba diving in the Maldives…the list goes on!
Life is slower and simpler on the equator. Balmy temperatures, a foodie’s wonderland, shopping thrills galore and a melting pot of art make Singapore a unique spot to visit. This safe, clean and orderly haven for families enchanted us with its old-world glamour.
If you ever find yourself in this gateway to Southeast Asia, be sure to:
- Stomp the grass mid-match at the Singapore Polo Club accompanied by satay and curry
- Eat pepper crab at the Red House on the East Coast
- Sit down for Sunday night dinner in the Tiffin Room at the Raffles Hotel
- Shop for fabric on Arab street and have a dress made in Tanglin Shopping Centre at Mode O Day
- Party ‘til the sun comes up on Sultan Road and top it off with a drink at SuperTree’s rooftop bar
For top neighborhoods, sites, shopping, clubs, and more get Deb’s guide.
Deb Obendorf is a retired Corporate Executive who traveled the world and shares her favorite tips and trips.