- This event has passed.
Venturing OA Open House – Learn about great clubs for teens!
January 27, 2019 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pmFree
Teenagers and/or their parents are invited to this open house that will showcase an array of clubs that encourage their teen members to challenge themselves through exciting group activities where they feel empowered to run their own organization, learning valuable leadership skills in the process.
These clubs are all operated under Piedmont Scout Council’s Venturing Program model. At the open house, you’ll get an overview about the Venturing Program and some of the benefits and meet teen representatives of the different groups who will share about their club’s area of focus. Visit our webpage to learn more.
Venturing Crews are organized with an adult Crew Advisor who mentors the youth leaders, helps them to set a vision for their crew and to strive to reach that vision. Crews and their members benefit from a program structure which provides a framework to build on. Venturing offers a formal leadership development path with personal development goals and an awards system that culminates in the Venturing Summit Award, comparable to the well recognized Eagle Award.
There’s a sense of broader community created via the Venturing Officers Association, a consortium of crew leaders that support each other, organize cross-unit events, and connect to other VOAs in the broader area and even outside of California. Our different clubs include the following, and we are always looking for relevant themes for new crews:
- Piedmont Community Service Crew provides leadership skills to empower teens through helping their community
- Piedmont Service Squad (for younger kids aged 11-13) community service activities alongside the older members of Piedmont Community Service Crew.
- Piedmont Food and Cooking Crew teens who love food and the creative outlet in creating great meals will not only cook together, but meet people in the food business and help others through their culinary skills.
- High Adventure Crew 88 members share a taste for outdoor adventure, while overcoming personal challenges and making friends with fellow members. They plan event that range from just hours nearby to trips that last several days and require travel: hiking, camping, backpacking, in the dessert, high Sierras, on the coast, at lakes.
- Sea Scouts Ship 16 (a sailing club) has its own boat and works on developing their maritime skills.
- Police Explorer Post 911 teens are guided by Advisors from Piedmont Police Department and learn about law enforcement as well as personal discipline through tactical skills and competition against teens in other Posts from around the country.
- Camp Crew 042 is an up and coming Venturing crew that will plan and run the day camps for younger Cub Scouts and aims to provide a fun, active and fulfilling camps for kids while teaching teens responsibility and planning skills
- Piedmont Venturing Officers Association (VOA) invites representatives from the different crews to organize inter-crew events for fun, learning, service, and connecting with others. They share their leadership experience to strengthen each of their clubs. Hear about summer events that are being planned.
Piedmont VOA’s VP Program, Sofia Stahl, is organizing this open house, and Lauren Young, the VOA President, is hosting the venue. Please tell friends who might be interested (and check out our webpage!). RSVP online via our response form.
If you have any questions, please contact Advisor Ken Li.