In spring and summer, I like to grill every part of a meal if I can. This salad comes together in minutes with a super easy dressing. For a heartier meal, add sliced grilled chicken, shrimp or pancetta.
- 1 -2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 4 anchovies, or 1 Tbs anchovy paste
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp Dijon, or to taste
- ½ – ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar, or fresh lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 heads romaine or romaine hearts, split lengthwise
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 3 thick slices crusty bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- For the dressing, smash the minced garlic and anchovy with flat side of a knife into a paste. Add the egg yolks, mustard, garlic/anchovy paste and whisk together. Add a small stream of olive oil while continuing to whisk to emulsify. Add the Worcestershire sauce, and continue to whisk. Add the red-wine vinegar (or lemon), whisk to combine, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium to medium-high heat. Brush 2 Tbs olive oil over the cut heads of lettuce. Place romaine cut side down on the heated grill and cook 1-2 minutes, until charred but not overly wilted.
- Brush the bread slices with a tablespoon of olive oil and grill it for about 5 minutes, then cut it into cubes. Or, cut into cubes first, add olive oil and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Lightly dress the grilled romaine hearts and serve with additional dressing. Add croutons.